If you are on the path of self development then it is quite likely that you have come across the term Affirmations. Here is all about affirmations, you would like to know.
What are Affirmations?
Imagine you are on a trekking trip, though in good physical shape, you have never physically challenged yourself before. Although you are a bit scared but watching your other team members you too get motivated and you keep telling yourself that ‘I can do it’. Of course, you complete the trek successfully.
Did you notice that this continuous self talk or repetition of small sentences which you did, was giving you the energy, push or the much needed drive to “do it”. May be you also noticed that you were able to change your mental state from being scared to that of a winner. These are called the affirmations!
Every thought which you repeat in your mind or say is an affirmation. Putting together all the thoughts or the self talk is a stream of affirmations.
Humans are continually generating this stream of affirmations with their thoughts, words and emotions which are carefully acted upon by the subconscious mind. The process of repetition of affirmations, which could also be by way of continuous inner dialogue or someone telling us, pushes the subconscious mind to take action.
Positive and Negative Affirmations
The subconscious mind is very good at executing whatever command is given to it. It does not discriminate between a good or a bad command. Subconscious mind is unable to filter out the commands which are not good in the life of a person from the commands which are good, healthy and positive.
Your subconscious mind accepts as true what you keep repeating. It dutifully attracts matching events and situations into your life. So why not choose only statements which are positive, constructive, healthy and uplifting so that you attract good health, good friends, good life and get positive results?
Why say Affirmations
Right from the first day of your life, others have been talking to you. Those close to you have been repeating certain statements to you. Later you also started talking to yourself and repeated certain words or statements. This created a set of belief systems for you. It is not necessary that these were true or false; facts or fiction; negative or positive – but you came to accept them and imbibed the values.
Our beliefs are thought patterns that we have acquired and nurtured since childhood. While some of these work well for us, others may also be working against us. It is good for you if those statements were positive and constructive. But it is not good for you if these were negative or harmful.
It is the second category that may be sabotaging and keeping us from realizing our full potential or achieving what we can actually achieve in life.
Since we know how to use affirmations, we get an amazing tool for improving our lives and steering ourselves on the path to success. The process is simple. Increase the positive balance and counter the negative or damaging beliefs by not repeating negative affirmations and countering them with new positive affirmations.
Positive affirmations are short self-scripts that can condition the subconscious mind to help us develop a more positive perception of ourselves.
Affirmations can on one hand help change harmful behaviors to a desired or more acceptable one and on the other hand help accomplish goals. Positive affirmations can stop and help undo the damage caused by negative scripts, which we repeatedly told ourselves until now.
What Positive Affirmations Do?
In addition to some of the points discussed already, positive affirmations help stop the wasteful and unproductive self talk. Not only this, the positive affirmations replace it with Motivation, Positive Self Image, Better Self Confidence.
Further the positive affirmations:
- Change in focus from undesired to desired objects and beliefs. Thus helps to keep the mind focused on the higher goals.
- Influence the subconscious mind and activate its powers.
- Help to change our thinking which kick starts the transformation of our lives
- Change the beliefs and the way we behave, and this can bring us right circumstances and into contact with right people, who can help us with our goals.
- make us feel positive, energetic and active, and thereby, put us in a better control of our life
- Making the change process easier
- transform our inner and external worlds.
When to Use Positive Affirmations
Affirmations can be used in almost any situation in life where you’d like to move from negative to positive state of affairs. Affirmations can also be used in the areas of life to reinforce or augment the benefits which you are already getting. Thirdly, affirmations are also useful in setting as well as achieving personal goals. Once you’ve set up the goals, you can use positive affirmations to help keep yourself motivated in order to achieve them.
Some of the situations or occasions where you might like to use affirmations could be (clicking on the link will take you to the appropriate video):
- Improve self confidence
- Improve self-esteem
- Raise your level of confidence, especially before Job Interviews or presentations or important meetings.
- Control negative thoughts, emotions and feelings such as fear, anger, frustration, procrastination or impatience.
- Get energy and motivation to complete the projects you have started / achieve goals.
- Improve your productivity.
- Get motivation to start a new project or an activity
- Weight Loss / Weight correction
- Manifest through Law of Attraction
- Attract Money
- Attract Abundance
- Attract Prosperity & Wealth
- Gratitude Affirmations for Success, Abundance
- Gratitude Affirmations for Great Life
- Gratitude Affirmations for Love
- Gratitude Affirmations for Relationship
- Affirmations for Love and Relationship
- Millionaire Mindset
- Love Yourself
- Reduce / Manage Stress
- Success in exams for students
- Affirmations for Healing & Health
In brief, positive affirmations are an amazing tool which can help you transform your life towards a positive direction and let us achieve your targets.
For instance, affirmations work particularly well alongside when repeated aloud and paired with visualization and positive thinking.
How to do Affirmations
- Begin by thinking of the areas of your life you’d like to change. For instance, do you wish you could overcome your shyness and have more confidence? Or you want a better relationship with your family? Or do you want more money?
- Pick one area to work on at a time.
- Select a few affirmations which you agree with, like and you think are full of impact.
- Also choose affirmations that are not too long. Affirmations should be positive and in present tense. For example, “ I am fit and in right weight” rather than “ I am not fat” or “ I will become slim”
- Set aside a time and place where you can be with yourself, totally relaxed and no one will disturb you for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Sit in a comfortable posture or lie down, make sure your back is straight. Be as relaxed as you can be.
- Repeat these affirmations slowly in your mind or whisper to yourself. Pay full attention to the words and their meaning while you are repeating
- Bring in more desire, emotion and feelings to get better and faster results.
- With a strong faith visualize the actualization of what you are saying and thereby manifest it into your life.
- Later as the practice develops, you can do the affirmations anywhere such as in the plane, at the airport, walking or waiting.
Effectiveness of using Affirmations
Canadian researcher, Dr. Joanne Wood at the University of Waterloo and her team at the University of New Brunswick have published their research in the Journal of Psychological Science, concluded “repeating positive self-statements may benefit certain people, such as individuals with high self-esteem, but backfire for the very people who need them the most.”
However, when positive self-statements strongly conflict with self-perception, the researchers say, there is not mere resistance but a reinforcing of self-perception. So we can learn two things from this. First, just engaging in positive affirmations by themselves, can do harm to people with low self-esteem, and provide only little benefit, if the affirmations are not part of a comprehensive program of self-growth, preferably with a knowledgeable professional. Second, the traditional cognitive psychotherapeutic approach of trying to change people’s negative thinking through logical processes may actually be counterproductive, compared to an approach that has people accept their thoughts, not resist them and give more energy to them by thinking about them, but rather engage in positive behaviors.
Of course, it’s important to realize that although some people have successfully used affirmations to overcome depression and negative thinking, the technique may not work for everyone. Some people may view affirmations as “wishful thinking,” or simply looking at the world with an unrealistic perspective. Quite a lot can depend on your mindset.
So let’s look at positive affirmations this way – many of us do repetitive exercises to improve our body’s physical health and condition. Affirmations are like exercises for our mind and outlook; these positive mental repetitions can reprogram our thinking patterns so that, over time, we begin to think, and act, in a new way.
It is a well known fact there is no self development subject, technique or author who does not recommend the use of positive affirmations. Celebrated authors like Louise Hay of the world famous bestseller Heal Your Life and other books has given effective affirmations for handling various diseases in human body.
Examples of Affirmations
Given below are a few example under the links to different types of affirmations for your different requirements. Each link carries a set of more than 50 or 100 affirmations. Choose them to suit your needs.
- I receive money happily now
- Money flows to me easily
- I attract money naturally
- Attracting money is easy
- I am passionate about building wealth
- There is plenty of wealth in my life
- I am wealthy right now
- Wealth flows to me
- I am attracting financial prosperity
- It is easy for me to become prosperous
- My net worth is always increasing
- The whole universe is conspiring to make me prosperous
- I am living an abundantly happy life
- Abundance is within me, abundance is around me
- The Universe wants me to have great abundance
- Abundance flows easily when I relax
- I am grateful for every experience in my life.
- I count my blessings everyday and thank universe for them.
- I greet each day with rich gratitude
- I have an attitude of gratitude
Summary of All about Affirmations
Self help affirmations are positive, specific statements that help a person to overcome self-sabotaging, negative beliefs. Affirmations is a helpful self development tool which can be combined with visualization to get amazing results by make positive changes in various aspects of life such as health, career, relationship and much more.
image credits: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/